All Saints Church





Architectural History of All Saints Church

Remains of a Norman arch lies under the floor of the south aisle, perhaps from a church built here by William the Conqueror's baron, Hasculf Musard.

 

In 1122 Aintrop de Hastang, then the Lord of the Manor, helped endow an Augustinian Priory of St Oswald's near Pontefract. Amongst his gifts was Leamington Hastings church, with its glebe land and income from tithe. The Canons therefore became responsible for the pastoral care of the parish and maintenance of the church.

 

Extensive work was carried out in the church in the second half of the thirteenth century by the de Hastang family. The bay in the North Aisle was opened up to create a small chapel. This opening (behind the pulpit) and some traces on the outer wall are all that remains of a spiral staircase leading to a rood loft over a rood screen. There would have been a crucifix (rood) above the screen and the loft would have been used in services by musicians. Wood from the screen has been incorporated in the present pulpit and prayer desk.

 

In 1375, the male line of de Hastangs died out, Maud de Hastang and her husband Ralph Stafford, inherited Leamington Hastings. The extension of the north aisle, the stone tracery of its window, the fine though badly worn, north porch and the tower all date form this period.

 

Sir Humphrey Stafford, a soldier who had fought at the battle of Agincourt under Henry V, was killed in 1450. The font which dates from this time may well have been given in memory of him.

 On the left of the main altar is a monument to Sir Thomas Trevor, who in 1630 bought Leamington Hastings from the Stafford family. The Trevor coat of arms can been seen in the west window under the tower.

 In 1703 the south aisle, including the arcade of pillars was taken down to its foundations and rebuilt by the Wheeler family. The south porch was enlarged following hurricane damage to the roof, the wind had blown lead off the roof into a tree on the north side!

 1879-1887 saw major restoration of the church under Sir Gilbert Scott. Plaster stripped form walls and pillars, the nave floor was lowered, the nave roof panelled, and the tower opened up and restored. The chancel roof was reconstructed and new seating provided.

 New choir stalls were given in 1913 in memory of Canon Sitwell, Vicar 1863-1909. The side aisle roofs were panelled, and north and south door ways were plastered in imitation of Early English style. The alter and sanctuary panelling were given in memory of Mary Ismene Wigram, wife of Gerard Wigram vicar from 1928.

 

Please find the link here to   further information

 

LVMjunjul.pdf

messy church.doc

 

All Saints Church is situated in the picturesque village of Leamington Hastings.

Leamington Hastings Parish includes the village of Broadwell and the hamlets of Hill and Kites Harding

Church Services are

1st Sunday in the month 11.00am Holy Communion

2nd Saturday in the month 10.00am Messy Church at Church of the Good Shepherd, Broadwell

3rd Sunday in the month 9.00am Holy Communion

3rd Tuesday in the month ‘Healing Service’ in Church of the Good Shepherd, Broadwell

4th Sunday in the month 4.00pm Afternoon Worship for young families

Please get in touch with Revd Jane Close our Priest in Charge, with any enquiries regarding services, Weddings, Baptisms, and Funerals

Contact details phone 01788 899226

                            Mobile 07958685423   

                            Email revj.close@btinternet.com

Churchwardens are      

Mrs Karen Hatch 01926 812363
            

Mr Andrew Ryan-Smith 01926 811367





© Webmaster Nobby Products 2015 ‎

Community Web Kit provided free by BT